The Frick Collection is an art museum located in
the Henry Clay Frick House on the Upper East Side in Manhattan, New York City
at 1 East 70th Street, at the northeast corner with Fifth Avenue. It houses
the collection of industrialist Henry Clay Frick (1849–1919).
The Frick is one of the pre-eminent small art museums in the United States, with
a high-quality collection of old master paintings and fine furniture housed in six
galleries within the former residence. Frick had intended the mansion to eventually
become a museum. Many of the paintings are still arranged according to Frick's
design. Besides its permanent collection, the Frick has always organized small,
focused temporary exhibitions.
The collection features some of the best-known paintings by major European
artists, as well as numerous works of sculpture and porcelain. It also has 18th
century French furniture, Limoges enamel, and Oriental rugs. After Frick's death,
his daughter, Helen Clay Frick, expanded the collection, with a third of its
artworks acquired since 1919. Although the museum cannot lend the two-thirds that
belonged to Frick, as stipulated in his will, the Frick Collection does lend
artworks and objects acquired since his death.
Included in the collection are Jean-Honoré Fragonard's masterpiece, The Progress
of Love, three paintings by Johannes Vermeer including Mistress and Maid, and Piero
della Francesca's St. John the Evangelist.