State Russian Museum, St. Petersburg

(1895-Present) Biography

 Page 1 of 1   


Golden Autumn, Village
Isaac Levitan

236 USD


The Lake. Russian Soil
Isaac Levitan

257 USD

Mast Tree Grove
Ivan Shishkin

360 USD

Stream in a Birch Forest
Ivan Shishkin

327 USD
 
On the Shore of the Gulf of Finland. Udrias Near Narva
Ivan Shishkin

279 USD
 
After the Storm. Mary Hovey
Ivan Shishkin

242 USD
 
The Path through the Woods
Ivan Shishkin

264 USD
 
For Mushrooms
Ivan Shishkin

308 USD

  Barge Haulers on the Volga
(Volga Boatmen)
Ilya Repin
  549 USD

 
The Zaporozhye Cossacks Replying to the Sultan
Ilya Repin

636 USD
 
Portrait of Vladimir Vasilievich Stasov, Russian Art Historian
Ilya Repin

244 USD
 
Dreams (On the Hill)
Vasily Polenov
      
362 USD
 
In the Park
Vasily Polenov
   
248 USD
 
Huguenot
Vasily Polenov
   
301 USD

The Ninth Wave
Ivan Aivazovsky
312 USD

The Brig Mercury Encounter after Defeating two Turkish Ships of the Russian Squadron
Ivan Aivazovsky
253 USD

Wave
Ivan Aivazovsky
282 USD
 
 
 

 Page 1 of 1   

 

The State Russian Museum (formerly the Russian Museum of His Imperial Majesty Alexander III) is the largest depository of Russian fine art in Saint Petersburg.

The museum was established on April 13, 1895, upon enthronement of Nicholas II to commemorate his father, Alexander III. Its original collection was composed of artworks taken from the Hermitage Museum, Alexander Palace, and the Imperial Academy of Arts. After the Russian Revolution of 1917, many private collections were nationalized and relocated to the Russian Museum. These included Kazimir Malevich's Black Square.

The main building of the museum is the Mikhailovsky Palace, a splendid Neoclassical residence of Grand Duke Michael Pavlovich, erected in 1819-25 to a design by Carlo Rossi on Square of Arts in St Petersburg. Upon the death of the Grand Duke the residence was named after his wife as the Palace of the Grand Duchess Elena Pavlovna, and became famous for its many theatrical presentations and balls.

Some of the halls of the palace retain the Italianate opulent interiors of the former imperial residence. Other buildings assigned to the Russian museum include the Summer Palace of Peter I (1710–14), the Marble Palace of Count Orlov (1768–85), St Michael's Castle of Emperor Paul (1797–1801), and the Rastrelliesque Stroganov Palace on the Nevsky Prospekt (1752–54).

The Ethnographic Department was originally set up in a building specially designed by Vladimir Svinyin in 1902. The museum soon housed gifts received by Emperor's family from representatives of peoples inhabiting various regions of the Russian Empire. Further exhibits were purchased by Nicholas II and other members of his family as State financing was not enough to purchase new exhibits. In 1934, the Ethnographic Department was given the status of an independent museum: the Russian Museum of Ethnography. 

Source: Wikipedia