The J. Paul Getty Museum, Los Angeles, USA

(1997-Present) Biography

 Page 1 of 1   


A Young Girl Defending Herself Against Eros
William Adolphe Bouguereau

313 USD


The Grand Canal from Palazzo Flangini to Campo San Marcuola
Canaletto

445 USD

Dancer with a Bouquet of Flowers
Edgar Degas

286 USD

Irises
Vincent Van Gogh

224 USD
 
The Sisters Zénaïde and
Charlotte Bonaparte

Jacques-Louis David

322 USD
 
The Farewell of Telemachus
and Eucharis

Jacques-Louis David

276 USD
 
Bouquet of Flowers in a Vase
Gustave Courbet

248 USD

The Abduction of Europa
Rembrandt van Rijn
406 USD

Baronne de Domecy
Odilon Redon

238 USD

Le Printemps (Spring)
Edouard Manet
250 USD

In the Days of Sappho
John William Godward
305 USD
 
Mischief and Repose
John William Godward
289 USD

 Page 1 of 1   

 

The Getty Center, in Los Angeles, California, is a campus of the Getty Museum and other programs of the Getty Trust. The $1.3 billion Center opened to the public on December 16, 1997 and is well known for its architecture, gardens, and views overlooking Los Angeles. The Center sits atop a hill connected to a visitors' parking garage at the bottom of the hill by a three-car, cable-pulled hovertrain funicular.

Located in the Brentwood neighborhood of Los Angeles, the Center is one of two locations of the J. Paul Getty Museum and draws 1.3 million visitors annually. (The other location is the Getty Villa in the Pacific Palisades neighborhood of Los Angeles, California.) The Center branch of the Museum features pre-20th-century European paintings, drawings, illuminated manuscripts, sculpture, and decorative arts; and 19th- and 20th-century American, Asian, and European photographs.[3] In addition, the Museum’s collection at the Center includes outdoor sculpture displayed on terraces and in gardens and the large Central Garden designed by Robert Irwin. Among the artworks on display is the Vincent Van Gogh painting Irises.

Designed by architect Richard Meier, the campus also houses the Getty Research Institute (GRI), the Getty Conservation Institute, the Getty Foundation, and the J. Paul Getty Trust. The Center's design included special provisions to address concerns regarding earthquakes and fires.

The J. Paul Getty Museum's estimated 1.3 million visitors annually make it one of the most visited museums in the United States. The collection of the J. Paul Getty Museum on display at the Getty Center includes "pre-20th-century European paintings, drawings, illuminated manuscripts, sculpture, and decorative arts; and 19th- and 20th-century American and European photographs". The paintings include:

  • Arii Matamoe (The Royal End) by Paul Gauguin (1892). The Museum's director, Michael Brand, stated that the purchase of the painting was "one of the key moments in the history of our collection." The literal translation of the Tahitian words of the title are "noble" and "sleeping eyes", which implies "death".
  • Irises by Vincent van Gogh (1889). The Museum purchased the painting in 1990; it had sold for $53.9 million in 1987.
    Portrait of a Halberdier by Pontormo (1528–1530). When the Museum bought the painting for $35.2 million at an auction in 1989, "the price more than tripled the previous record at auction for an Old Master painting".
  • A copy of Portrait of Louis XIV, which measures 114 x 62-5/8 inches, by the workshop of Hyacinthe Rigaud (after 1701).

Getty's extensive photograph collection is located on the lower level of the west pavilion.

The Museum building consists of a three-level base building that is closed to the public and provides staff workspace and storage areas. Five public, two-story towers on the base are called the North, East, South, West and the Exhibitions Pavilions. The Exhibitions Pavilion acts as the temporary residence for traveling art collections and the Foundation's artwork for which the permanent pavilions have no room. The permanent collection is displayed throughout the other four pavilions chronologically: the north houses the oldest art while the west houses the newest.[32] The first-floor galleries in each pavilion house light-sensitive art, such as illuminated manuscripts, furniture, or photography. Computer-controlled skylights on the second-floor galleries allow paintings to be displayed in natural light. The second floors are connected by a series of glass-enclosed bridges and open terraces, both of which offer views of the surrounding hillsides and central plaza. Sculpture is also on display at various points outside the buildings, including on various terraces and balconies. The lower level (the highest of the floors in the base) includes a public cafeteria, the terrace cafe, and the photography galleries. 

Source: Wikipedia