Toledo Museum of Art, Toledo, USA

(1901-Present) Biography

 Page 1 of 1   


Victoria Dubourg
Edgar Degas

243 USD


House in Auvers
Vincent Van Gogh

225 USD

Wheat Fields with Reaper, Auvers
Vincent Van Gogh

224 USD

Two on the Aisle
Edward Hopper

232 USD

Landscape near Ornans
Gustave Courbet
246 USD

Princess Demidoff
John Singer Sargent

301 USD

Crowning of Saint Catherine
Peter Paul Rubens
441 USD

Mill at Charenton
François Boucher

414 USD
 
El Capitan, Yosemite Valley, California
Albert Bierstadt
336 USD
 
 
 

 Page 1 of 1   

 

The Toledo Museum of Art is an internationally known art museum located in the Old West End neighborhood of Toledo, Ohio, United States. It houses a collection of more than 30,000 objects. The museum was founded by Toledo glassmaker Edward Drummond Libbey in 1901, and moved to its current location, a Greek revival building designed by Edward B. Green and Harry W. Wachter in 1912. The building was expanded twice in the 1920s and 1930s. As of May 2014, Brian Kennedy serves as the museum's ninth director. 

Exhibits

The museum contains major collections of glass art of the 19th and 20th century, European and American art, as well as small but distinguished Renaissance, Greek and Roman, and Japanese collections. Notable individual works include Peter Paul Rubens's The Crowning of Saint Catherine, significant minor works by Rembrandt and El Greco, and modern works by Willem de Kooning, Henry Moore, and Sol LeWitt, as well as Fragonard's Blind Man's Bluff.

A concert hall within the east wing, the Peristyle, is built in a classical style to match the museum's exterior. The hall is the principal concert space for the Toledo Symphony Orchestra. A sculpture garden, containing primarily postwar works (earlier sculptures are on display in the interior) was added in 2001, and runs in a narrow band along the museum's Monroe Street facade.

The Rubens painting, The Crowning of Saint Catherine, was bought by the Toledo Museum of Art from Albert Koppel in 1950. Rubens had originally painted it for the church of the Augustinians in Mechelen (Malines) where it was installed in 1631. In the eighteenth century the church authorities sold it to a dealer and in 1779 it was purchased by the 5th Duke of Rutland. It remained as part of the Rutland estate until 1911 when the 8th Duke of Rutland sold it to the German-Jewish banker and science entrepreneur Leopold Koppel. On Koppel’s death in 1933 it was illegally appropriated by senior Nazi Hermann Göring for his private collection. At the end of World War II it was discovered by American troops in a salt mine and was eventually reclaimed, with several other paintings, by Albert Koppel, Leopold's son. 

Source: Wikipedia